Sunday, June 20, 2010

Okinawa Day 3: Performance and Uchiage Party #1

The day finally came for my performance at the National Theatre in Okinawa.  The reason why we were in Okinawa in the first place was the celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Choichi Terukina's music studio.  I first joined his studio eleven years ago when I arrived in Okinawa as a student.  I wanted to take sanshin lessons when I got there and my friend Jodie recommended that I go to lessons with her.

Eleven years later, Jodie and I shared a stage with over 200 other students of Terukina Sensei's to celebrate this auspicious occasion.  This was my first performance at the National Theatre and Bryan's first performance in Okinawa.  It was definitely an experience that will not soon be forgotten.

 (Yuko, me, Jodie)

(Bryan and I)

(contingency from Los Angeles: Ryan, Bryan, Keith, Yuko and I)

(teachers from Hawaii and Los Angeles: Calvin, June, Grant, Kenton and Ryan)


You can't have a recital without an after party...the first part was at an impressive all you can drink/all you can eat place.  The drink selection was amazing and three large beers later, I was a happy camper.

 (the Maui folks enjoying the beers)

(Jodie, Bryan and Yuko on their way to Karaoke)

(happy campers)

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you are having a great time! Congrats on the big performance. You look beautiful in the pictures and I am sure you sounded just as good!

    ReplyDelete