Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Adventure #1

In the coming days, Bryan and I are going to Japan.  This will be my fourth trip there but Bryan's first.  I haven't been back to Japan in about ten years.  It'll be great to see old friends and teachers that I had befriended over ten years ago while studying in Okinawa.  It will also be a great opportunity to share my ancestral roots with Bryan.

We'll be spending ten days in Okinawa, two days in Kyoto and five days in Tokyo.  We will be meeting up with an organized tour while in Okinawa that will include my parents, older brother and friends from Hawaii.  One of the reasons why we're going to Okinawa in the first place is to celebrate the 50th anniversary of my sanshin sensei's music studio.  This performance and trip will definitely be a once in a lifetime experience and one that will not be forgotten.

After the tour ends, Bryan and I will "be on our own" in Kyoto and Tokyo.  We'll hopefully meet up with some of my friends while we're there.

I can't tell how difficult it is to pack for seventeen days.  It's madness.  Just the thought of schlepping around two large suitcases, in and out of trains, is enough to encourage me to pack light.  All I know is that my vacation will officially start when I'm on the plane with my first vodka tonic in hand.  I can't wait.

But before that, it's Jonathan Broxton Bobblehead Night at Dodger Stadium AND Game 3 of the NBA Championships.  Go Dodgers!  Go Lakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment